Friday, June 4, 2010

Memorial Day In The Hospital

PHILABURBIA, Pennsylvania, USA. "A dark night in a world that thinks it knows how to keep its secrets. But in a small office, just north of Philly, one man is still looking for the answers to many of life's persistent questions: Leigh Irwin, Investigative Reporter." (MUSIC FADE)

It was a quiet Monday morning in Philaburbia. I was spending the long weekend in the local hospital waiting for the next step in my treatment for Atrial Fibrillation.  I had been there since late on Wednesday the 26th of May, away from my computer, away from everything except rest.  I didn't know what the weather was like outside except what I could see through the window. It looked like a sunny day.

This was my first time with what is more easily understood as an irregular heartbeat.  The upper heart beats rapidly and the lower part of the heart can't keep up.  Then because the heart is not pumping right your blood pressure goes down.  You get faint and dizzy and any exertion on your part only makes things worse.

You get yourself to the hospital because something else more dangerous may happen.  Because your heart is not working right blood clots can form in the bottom of the heart.  Then one of those clots may break free into the blood stream.  It can end up in your brain causing a stroke.

So there I was in the hospital.  The procedures done there in the first couple of days brought back a regular heart beat.  Then I had to wait out the weekend until Tuesday to have a Cardiac Stress Test and a Pulmonary Functions Test. Finally, on Thursday, I went through a Heart Catheterization.  None of the tests showed anything conclusive so I am back home with a couple more medications to add to those I already take.

Big words, these different tests, and nothing to laugh about. For it is causing some more changes in my life. It is time to seriously look at the diet and to go into that exercise program that includes a swimming pool and getting back to some of that hoorah! training I was taught so well in the military.

..."the military..."

That brings me back to Monday which was Memorial Day.  On that day it was time again for we the living to remember those who paid the ultimate price for our freedom.  There were many words written and said on that day.  There were parades and patriotic speeches...all good things.  We need to remember.  We need to be thankful.  We need to look at our own little corners of the world, no matter how materially well off we may be or not and ask the question:

"How different would life be for me and those I love if they (the military) had not done what they did?"

It is another of life's persistent questions that needs to be looked at on a regular basis with a heart and mind that hungers for an answer, that hungers for real truth.

I told the boss that I would not be in until Monday. But if I feel strong enough this morning I need to get back to work. I have too much on which to catch up both at work and at home.  I hope it isn't too humid today. But hey - if it is, I'll just handle it.

"A dark night in a world that thinks it knows how to keep its secrets. But in a small office, just north of Philly, one man is still looking for the answers to many of life's persistent questions: Leigh Irwin, Investigative Reporter." (MUSIC FADE)

ALW

No comments:

Post a Comment